Monday, April 25, 2011

Ottotest Update

I had a chance to use the Ottotest on a 2002 GMC Sierra Denali Pickup. This truck was loaded with every option. First thing I did was do a DTC health check with the Ottotest. This is where the scanner polls all the modules for communication and codes. The Ottotest did this procedure with ease and then gave me a summary of how many modules it saw and how many had codes. One interesting note here is that if there was a module that didn't communicate you would have to go back into the module log to see which module didn't communicate. The truck was in the shop for no DRL (Daytime Running Lamp) operation. The Ottotest did a great job of showing me everything I needed to diagnose this issue. The bi-directional functions were excellent. The other item of mention here is I was able to graph BCM and ABS data on this truck. This was a big complaint of mine. So, I tried graphing BCM and ABS data on my 2001 Dodge Durango-still nothing. What is with that? I can graph GM data but not Chrysler? I also tried another Hyundai vehicle recently to see if I could get Air Bag codes and data-no dice. I checked for recent scantool updates, there were none. I reported all this back to Blue Streak via the feedback function on the scanner. Let's hope they are listening.